Well, it’s been a crazy couple of weeks here at mylittleheartmelodies, starting July 18. I drove Nick out to Columbia for the Mizzou International Composers Festival, and as soon as I got back to Kansas City it was time for Fringe Fest! This year, Fringe’s 10th, I was ridiculously excited for some reason and wanted to beat my personal previous coverage records (3 in 2013, 4 in 2012, 3 in 2011). I did—a few times over, even! I saw 15 shows, reviewing 14 of them. I’m also really proud of KCMetropolis.org and my cohorts there—I believe we had some of the best coverage in the city. It was a great way to spend my week but there was no way I could do it all and keep up with my blog posts. Life is a little more back to normal for a while here, so expect to see more from me in the coming days!
Here’s a complete list of my reviews of Fringe Fest shows. Click the links to read the full text over on KCMetropolis.org!
- Bad Auditions … An absurd, completely hilarious slice of theatre life!
- Green Fish … Four one-acts on pregnancy, parenthood, and the feelings therein.
- Jelly Rose … Young, über-talented local singer-songwriter. This girl’s got PIPES!
- Intermission … Two broken people keep meeting “between acts” at the theatre.
- Where the Hell’s the Bridesmaid????? … Silly whodunit comedy of errors!
- DIRTLEGS … Sex and the City meets East Texas. Women rule.
- Drunks … Two actors. One writers. LOTS of booze. Wha happen!?
- Shakespeare’s Histories … “Ten epic plays at a breakneck pace!”
- Br. John Sings Sam Cooke … Fun retrospective of the Father of Soul.
- Mighty Mo Combo … Local LGBTQ jazz band, amping up musical cheez.
- …Fear Itself … Theatrical reading of four short gothic tales of horror.
- Hard Travelin’ with Woody … “Appreciation session” of the great Woody Guthrie.
- Right Between the Ears … Good ol’ fashioned comedy radio show, live on stage!
- A-Cop-Alypse … Buddy-cop meets zombie apocalypse comedy. Cool, zombies.