Last weekend I went to the Kauffman Center to see the Kansas City Jazz Orchestra‘s season opener, featuring all-around jazz guru Hal Melia. About a decade ago I took jazz voice (!) lessons with Hal here in Kansas City, before he moved. He is probably the most enthusiastic, fun-loving, joyful performer I know! Just an awesome player and and awesome person. It was a pleasure to see him again back in KC for a concert. And the KC Jazz Orchestra was better than ever—I thought the programming for this first concert was smart and varied. Bonus fun fact: this is my 150th article for KCMetropolis.org!
Read my full review at KCMetropolis.org: KCJO’s swingin’ history lesson
- “Modern Rock” was a mixed bag … KC Symphony Happy Hour (9.24.14)
- PREVIEW: LIVE! in the Crossroads … M-AAA First Fridays (9.24.14)
- Buddy Guy is still the baddest … JCCC’s Performing Arts Series (9.6.14)
- PREVIEW: fall 2014 … Jazz and world music (9.3.14)
- Bird lives via Rag Swing Bop! … Paul Mesner Puppets, Gem (8.29.14)