I have been enjoying Rory at Fourth Street Review‘s bookish (and not so bookish) thoughts lists for a while now (credit to Christine at Bookishly Boisterous for originating it). Since I’m coming up on several days with nothing to post and even less time for blogging, I thought I’d jump in with a bookish/not-so-bookish post of my own. Basically, it’s just a list of what’s on your mind lately, what you’ve encountered this week, random plans, or whatever you want to mention!
1. OF COURSE when I have a big concert weekend and my parents are coming in and I need new tires on the car, naturally Kansas City gets a winter storm and I have to drive through it a bunch. Of course! I love winter weather but for real, errgh.
2. Okay this is SO college-studenty of me, but one of the reasons I love it when my folks come to visit is so we can try new (to us) restaurants, like this weekend we might check out the Farmhouse in City Market. Or whatever we want!
3. Speaking of my folks’ visit, they are taking the train and when I went to check the status on its departure (because of the weather here), I discovered Chicago Union Station’s magic piano—it “responds” musically to what’s happening around it. So awesome!
4. I recently (finally) got some new CDs: John Legend‘s Love in the Future, Daughter‘s If You Leave, and Mandolin Orange‘s This Side of Jordan. They’re very different and I love them all! I honestly can’t remember the last time I bought a new CD.
5. I cannot wait until our trip up to Wisconsin for Christmas. Counting down the nights (8 more). We’re going to see my mom’s family and go to a Packer game, hang out in Madison, and it’s going to be amazing and much needed time off. (Did I mention I can’t wait?)
6. I’m on a brownie kick lately. Made smitten kitchen’s favorite brownies twice, and I think I might make them again for a party on Sunday and for my coworkers next week before the holiday, too.
7. I almost bought a book today… saw one I’ve had on my radar for a while now on sale at the school bookstore for $7. Very tempted, but proud of myself for resisting. I have way too many on my TBR right now! One day…
8. I haven’t really gone out to do any holiday gift shopping yet, but I’ve been thinking a lot (and looking online) for ideas for the new kids in my life—20-month-old nephew and friends’ new babies. It’s so much fun buying for the little kids! Grown-ups are tough, including me 😉
9. Not sure I’ll accomplish my reading goal this month now… I feel like time is going so fast and I know I won’t get much reading done this weekend or while we’re up in Wisconsin. Oh well, I am probably (likely) being too hard on myself.
10. I’m looking forward to seeing jazz pianist/author/fellow Madisonian Ben Sidran speak on Sunday in Kansas City at the JCCKC’s White Theatre. (Confession: I’ve had his 2003 memoir for years and still haven’t read it!)