Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish, a fun way to get yourself thinking and sharing about books and bookish things.
August 27: Top ten most memorable secondary characters
I just came across two new favorite sidekicks in books! Here we go, in no particular order (click title links for full book reviews):
1. Kolya (City of Thieves by David Benioff)
I think I had a crush on Kolya! He was charming, flirty, funny, and endlessly entertaining.
2. Fermín Romero de Torres (The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón)
Loyal, insightful, emotional, dramatic, chivalrous, romantic at heart… swoon. (Do I have a thing for former soldier sidekicks or something??)
3. Crake (Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood)
A new favorite book. Crake (and his ethically questionable use of his hyper-intelligence) gave me shivers. Creepy!
4. Aech (Ready Player One by Ernest Cline)
Spunky, whip-smart, funny, and the book’s ending made me love this character even more.
5. Alvis Bender (Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter)
The quiet, erudite writer who went to the Mediterranean to write every year, I found Alvis to be appealing and enigmatic. Bonus for being from my hometown, Madison, Wisconsin!
6. Go (Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn)
Terrible nickname (short for Margo), but she reminded me of Debra from Showtime’s Dexter and I think she’s an incredible, complex character.
7. Katz (A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson)
Liked Katz a lot better than Bryson, in fact. He was hilarious!
8. Anton Chigurh (No Country for No Men by Cormac McCarthy)
9. Inigo Montoya (The Princess Bride by William Goldman)
Because, you know. His name is Inigo Montoya. You killed his father. Prepare to die.
10. Owen Dunne (The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach) and
Cassie Maddox (In the Woods by Tana French)
TIE! These two characters have stuck with me more than the books overall have. I liked how Cassie was strong and smart yet flawed—she was better than the main character, Ryan! I wish Owen in Fielding had been more fleshed out, though.
What are some secondary characters you find most memorable?