bout of books 6.0 wrap up

The Bout of Books 6.0 Readathon concluded Sunday night, and I had fun participating, even though I didn’t have as much time for it as I would have liked. I did change my goals mid-week because at that point I knew there was no way I’d complete them. But I felt pretty good about what I did accomplish. Below is my progress for each day. I will definitely participate in the next Bout of Books in a few months!

Bout of Books Read-a-Thon

My goals

• Finish The Light Between Oceans and start another book
  • Participate in at least one #boutofbooks Twitter chat
  • Participate in at least one challenge/giveaways
  • Comment on at least ten Bout of Books participants’ blogs

Progress

Monday, January 7 (11pm)
Not my most productive reading day. I haven’t read one page yet! After a a full workday (missed the first Bout of Books Twitter chat) I came home and worked out (during which I got sidetracked by the Downton Abbey premiere online… 2 hours!!), finished cooking dinner, and ate with my husband while watching stuff on Netflix. For the last couple hours I have been browsing Bout of Books participants’ blogs, and had some difficulty at first. Many of them are reading books in genres that aren’t of interest to me (which is totally fine of course, but I’m having trouble coming up with comments of substance on them). But I was able to find five to comment on: BookSmartie, bookgoonie, A Geek’s Bookshelf, Musings of a Bookshop Girl, and A Librarian’s Library. So I feel all right about my blog commenting for today, but not so great about my reading. Update (1/8): Read for one hour before going to bed.
Tuesday, January 8 (11:40pm)
Another not-so-productive BoB day. I had lunch with Nick during my lunch break, worked out when I got home, and then had some KCMetropolis work to do which took a good chunk of the evening. Then I was sucked into the internet and now I’m going to get ready for bed. Today flew by—don’t know where the time went!
Wednesday, January 9 (10:05pm)
Today was better than the last two. As soon as I got home from work I read for a couple of hours. After I ate dinner with Nick I read for another 45 minutes or so. At 8pm I participated in the #boutofbooks chat on Twitter, which was a lot of fun! I found a few more accounts and blogs to follow. After the Twitter chat, I completed today’s Bout of Books challenge: the Page 48 Challenge hosted by Booking in Heels. Read my entry here. Nick just brought me a beer so I’ll probably go browse some BoB participants’ blogs for a while! Update (11pm): Commented on three blogs: Cuidado com Dálmata, Reading the Paranormal, and Literary, etc.
Thursday, January 10 (Saturday, January 12, 4:30pm)
Tonight I spent a lot of time reading—nearly the whole evening after I got home from work. Made it through all of Part II of The Light Between Oceans! I didn’t look at blogs or do any challenges tonight. Adjusted my goals to be more realistic for my time.
Friday, January 11 (Saturday, January 12, 4:40pm)
I didn’t have a chance to do any substantial reading today—maybe just a few minutes here and there. After work I went out with a friend, and when I got home Nick and I just zoned out in front of the TV for a bit before bed. No blogs or challenges.
Saturday, January 12 (4:50pm)
This morning I had a haircut at 8:45am and met a friend for lunch, but was able to read for a couple of hours after that. Now Nick and I are going to buy ingredients for dinner and cook before the Packer game at 7pm… hopefully there will be a live stream link I can find online! No blogs or challenges. Update (midnight): Decided to wait until the morning to watch the Packer game online (better stream quality), so I read the rest of the night and finished The Light Between Oceans!
Sunday, January 13 (8:50pm)
First thing this morning I watched the Packer game on NFL Game Rewind online (tears… sigh. It was a good season, anyway. I still love my Pack!) and then Nick and I went out for lunch and to hear the KC Symphony perform Mahler’s Sixth Symphony. When we got home I did some blog stuff and caught up on a few emails. I also commented on four blogs: Sarah Says Read, fortune favors the brave, Booking In Heels, and Northern Plunder. not too much reading but I decided to read Antoine de Saint-Exupéry’s Night Flight next. It’s super short—if I don’t read it all tonight I’m sure I’ll be able to finish it tomorrow. Update (1/14, 10pm): Haven’t even started Night Flight yet! After I wrote this post on Sunday night Nick and I watched some TV before bed and today (Monday) I went pretty much straight from my FT job to my PT job after work. Oh well! Glad I finished The Light Between Oceans at least.